A Kentico Case Study
The goal of the new Vermeer Dealer Center was to replace an existing unsupported platform with a modern portal designed to equip dealers in the field with information at their fingertips. Dealers can now quickly access the entire line of Vermeer products and information using the quality search tool that provides accurate results while working within a complex set of permissions. Other goals included:
- Automatic Filtering of Data. Vermeer wanted a solution to allow for content to be security trimmed for its two distribution channels and multiple permission settings.
- WCAG 2.0 AA. Fully compliant for website accessibility.
- Mobile-friendly. Vermeer wanted a responsive design that would allow users to easily view specialized features across multiple devices, including smartphone, tablet, desktop and laptop.
- Speed. Many of the Dealer Center users are in rural locations where internet connectivity can be poor. The site needed to be designed to delivery content quickly without a lot of overhead.
- The client wanted the new site built in the Kentico EMS MVC platform.
- Custom Single Sign-on (SSO). Easily accessible to multiple systems connecting with Dealer Center.
One of the biggest challenges facing BizStream was the amount of content, individual products, user data and high-resolution imagery featured on Dealer Center — as well as the high speed in which everything would need to load. Creating custom permissions proved to be very complex as well.
- Integrating with several complex systems including Single Sign-on (SSO) using Vermeer’s custom Shibboleth installation or SAML.
- Integrating with Vermeer’s API which reaches out to several Vermeer systems in order to aggregate data about Vermeer products.
- Developing custom permissions proved to be very complex as each user had different permission settings, down to the individual model they could view. Due to the amount of filters and amount of data, maintaining site performance was challenging.
- Understanding and implementing search in an intelligent way that allows users to filter results.
- Each integration presented unique challenges as all content needed to be filtered based on permission settings.
- Security and permissions required very advanced SQL calls that integrated with Kentico’s natural SQL. The content needed to be filtered many times through multiple SQL calls to get to final output that was then rendered on the page dynamically.
- Glimpse was utilized to validate and trim a vast number of queries to the database.
- Utilized a custom MVC Menu Builder.
- Utilized a set of custom MVC Widgets.
The main goals were to create a content-centered, searchable site without losing existing use of shared applications within the site. The most widely accessed pages that prove goals are met include:
- Dealer applications
- Product centric pages
Key Criteria for Choosing Kentico
- Ability to Integrate external systems and APIs into the solution
- Kentico’s ability to handle security and permissions
- Vermeer had some previous experience in the Kentico platform
- Comparison with other content management systems identified that Kentico met the requirements needed