A Kentico Kontent Case Study
Kimball Hospitality is the leader in hospitality casegoods. Trusted by the most prominent brands in the industry, Kimball brings a best-in-class product and an all-inclusive experience to designers, buyers, and owners. Kimball specializes in casegoods and seating projects, and the recent acquisition of D’Style, a powerhouse in the public space sector, significantly expands its capability as a full facility provider. Kimball provides services that allow them to be a “concierge” to those who partner with them, making the company the “go-to” for hospitality projects. Kimball specializes in design consultation, product engineering, and project management, on-time shipments and installation support.
Kimball Hospitality needed help in developing a re-designed website
in the Kentico Kontent platform. Kimball’s primary goals were to:
- Implement a new site utilizing a more robust content management solution that properly showcased what the Kimball Hospitality brand was capable of as a market leader in the space.
- Refresh the design to be more in-line with Kimball International’s global brands, including National Office Furniture while adhering to the Kimball Hospitality unique branding.
- Implement a site that is easier to manage, allowing for content entry to be managed in a single location, however dynamically shared in multiple locations on the site.
- Develop a site that will continue to grow with the needs of Kimball Hospitality, specifically future integration of Kimball data and ERP information with the website.
- Kimball wanted their website to be seen as a leader in the industry doing so through high-quality product galleries, accessories pages, and product showcases.
- Kimball wanted to bring more attention to their seating product line and to highlight their unique ability for furniture customization as well as showcasing designers and design inspiration
- Eliminate the need to worry about server infrastructure (including CMS upgrades, security, patching, upgrades)
- Kimball needed an easier way to manage content. For example, allowing for one change to propagate over the entire site.
- Kimball IT desired a reusable framework that could be used for future projects and additional sites.
- Mobile responsive was an important need as the majority of users visit the site via iPad and mobile devices.
- Kimball wanted to be able to easily share content on social platforms with high-quality images.
- Kimball had a tight timeline for this project
- There was a need to solve the best organizational structure for the site that could handle relationships between different products, and group by collection, brands, materials etc.
- Creating a dynamic routing solution for building a website that shows content
- Kimball wanted to balance page performance with the need for a large number of high-quality images and ensure a positive mobile experience.
- Creating the Find a Representative feature utilizing the newest technologies instead of a standard on-premise database.
- All content needed to be highly searchable, the previous site had no real search experience at all.
- BizStream used a modern serverless architecture for the overall solution which included a Headless CMS (Kentico Kontent), Azure PasS Resources hosting .Net Core MVC projects, and Azure Search to accomplish the new KimballHospitality.com site.
- BizStream used custom development tools to help speed up the development process
- To create long-running operations, such as updating search BizStream implemented the indexer as an ASP.NET Core Hosted Service.
- Kentico Kontent Web Hooks were used in multiple ways for updating the site when new content items are published and for helping the search index know when there are new items that need indexing.
- BizStream utilized the Kentico Kontent Model Generator tool from the Kontent community team.
- Our team wrote our own custom Azure Search indexer to create long-running operations, making all content searchable.
- Utilized the Website Preview feature of Kentico Kontent (direct preview link to content) allowing editors to edit instantly.
- To solve the relationship challenge our development team used linked items as an asset component part.
- The Kontent URL Slugs feature was used for routing, allowing Kimball to customize for SEO
- BizStream implemented custom code to power metadata on the site to add in Open Graph tags
- Working together with Kimball’s marketing team, BizStream was able to leverage content types and elements to create a very structured content model.
- Because of the rich content model BizStream developed, we were able to easily display specifications, related products, image galleries, and more on the front-end of the website.
- ASP.Net Core MVC was used to create the main web channel .NET core 3.1
- BizStream used Azure to scale, increase performance, speed up deployments, and reduce IT labor.
- Azure DevOps CI was used to automate releases.
- BizStream heavily utilized the Kentico Kontent asset management feature to set Kimball up with a digital asset management system complete with structured folders for structured content. This allowed the Kimball team to easily navigate and reuse pictures, assets, and downloads and to help store their products, brands, resources, and more. Distributed over a Content delivery network (CDN) making for an extremely fast download.
- Kimball IT leveraged the Kontent Management API of Kentico Kontent to handle bulk imports of product images and content items, reducing the amount of content entry time.
- Kontent Roles and Permissions were used to manage security for landing pages - content types
- The Kontent feature of Content Elements Restrictions were used to ensure admins had the proper specs for content to ensure high-quality images were being put out.
- A Kontent Custom Element was used for Kimball’s “Find a Rep” feature based on Country and State.
- Implemented custom error handling so admins could have a nice user experience when things weren’t going right
- Leveraged Azure App Services for multiple environments and ease of deployment
Kentico Kontent Features & Tools used
- Kentico Kontent
- Kentico Kontent Delivery SDK for .Net
- Kentico Kontent Content Management API
- Custom Elements
- Content Snippets
- Web Hooks
- Preview URLs
- Content Model Generator
Additional Tools used
- Google reCAPTCHA V3
- Google Tag Manager / Google Analytics
- Azure Application Insights
- Azure Search
- Azure PaaS
- Azure DevOps
- SendGrid API for email transactions
- 70% increase in monthly visitors
- Kimball Hospitality has seen an uptick in request for quotes due to the information they can now provide on their new website.