PPG presented BizStream with the need to redesign the HomaxProducts.com website to create a highly customized e-commerce platform. The new website needed to supply both B2C and B2B e-commerce in the sense that home do-it-yourselfers should be able to browse and purchase directly through the website, while also supporting professional buyers with wholesale purchasing abilities with tiered volume-based pricing. Once completed, the new site would be seen as a source of knowledge for professionals and DIYs in terms of How-Tos, Installation steps, and guides.
The resulting website also needed to be tightly integrated with multiple business systems such as Homax’s main ERP system so that much of the product publishing and order fulfillment process could be automated with little to no human interaction.
PPG was looking for a team that could help guide their internal marketing team to design a market-leading, engaging, visually rich experience for Homax and the products that Homax sells nationally. Once designed, that team would then take over the implementation of the project.
The implementation was highly customized and needed to provide the following features/functionality:
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant for B2B and B2C E-commerce
- Custom Order integration to multiple external systems
- Custom B2B Pricing Tiers / Contract based Pricing / Role-based Pricing
- Custom Checkout process
- Custom Tax logic to match US and Canadian business rules
- Custom Promotion logic to support existing discount scenarios
- Custom Payment gateway provider
- Custom Shipping provider to match existing business rules
- Custom My Account functionality, including:
- Ability to easily reorder from a previous order
- Ability to save secure credit card information via secure tokenization
- Integration with existing middleware interfaces.
- Integration with third-party services for affiliate tracking, product reviews, and email marketing
- Customized product pull for SKUs to be automatically populated from external data sources
- Four breakpoints for Responsive design
- Google Tag Manager tags to measure various user events across the site.
- Integration with standard PPG developed Social Media tools.
- Content sharing capability through the use of custom tags required for Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Schema.org, and email.
- The project needed to be deployed to a cloud-based hosting platform
Based on the project requirements, BizStream and the client selected Kentico Xperience for the CMS and e-commerce platform because it offers a successful combination of these two tools in one solution. Kentico Xperience was mainly chosen due to the flexibility and interoperability that is had around its e-commerce engine. This extensibility allowed BizStream to create custom product pricing, checkout, payment, tax, shipping, and discount providers that could match Homax’s complex requirements. The custom Kentico Xperience implementation also included:
- Implementation of the new site was done with the Kentico MVC development model.
- NetSuite and TIE Commerce ERP systems integration for products and orders
- Cybersource Payment gateway integration
- Bazaar Voice integration for product reviews, ratings, and Q&A forums
- Extensive use of Google Tag Manager and custom Google Analytics events for tracking page views, click events, and overall user behavior.
- Role-based authentication and personalized product pages for B2B vs. B2C users
- Custom related products by product category and other similar products
- The new site was deployed to a set of Azure PaaS resources for enhanced security and scalability.
- Discount codes were implemented with custom business logic via the Kentico Xperience discount rules and custom macros.
- Affiliate tracking for Homax’s sales partners allowed for order attribution and commission management.
- Custom Google Advanced E-commerce tracking codes were written.